Articles on this Page
- 01/12/17--14:45: _Manly Exercises. Th...
- 01/30/17--19:06: _Manly Exercises. Th...
- 02/13/17--20:24: _Manly Exercises. Th...
- 02/16/17--10:24: _What is Classical F...
- 02/21/17--12:35: _“An Hour with Mr. E...
- 08/10/17--10:04: _Vintage film footag...
- 08/29/17--09:26: _Colonel Thomas Mons...
- 10/17/17--15:06: _“Irish Swordsmanshi...
- 05/01/18--17:31: _An Early American F...
- 06/08/18--14:53: _Foils, Daggers, Sab...
- 01/12/17--14:45: Manly Exercises. The Broadsword and Single-Stick. Part II.
- 01/30/17--19:06: Manly Exercises. The Broadsword and Single-Stick. Part III.
- 02/13/17--20:24: Manly Exercises. The Broadsword and Single-Stick. Part IV.
- 02/16/17--10:24: What is Classical Fencing? No, I mean really?
- 02/21/17--12:35: “An Hour with Mr. Egerton Castle,” 1898
- 08/10/17--10:04: Vintage film footage of Kung Fu in Chinatown, New York City, 1930
- 08/29/17--09:26: Colonel Thomas Monstery, and the Training of America’s Swordswomen
Continued from PART I. THE BROADSWORD AND SINGLE-STICK. II. BEFORE placing the “single-stick” in your hand, it is our intention to put you through a short course of preliminary drill, the object of which is to teach you the free and active use of your limbs. When we have instructed you how to apply the […]
Continued from PART II. THE BROADSWORD AND SINGLE-STICK. III. THE TARGET. THE first thing to be done is to construct a target for ourselves. Procure a stout sheet of cartridge-paper, about four feet square; lay it upon a table, and proceed to describe a large circle upon it as follows:—Insert at the central point, marked […]
Continued from PART III. MANLY EXERCISES. THE BROADSWORD AND SINGLE-STICK. IV. ATTACK AND DEFENCE. THIS portion of our studies must be gone through in strict accordance with the rules we have laid down in our first paper. “Keep your temper,” and “Play fairly,” are two phrases which must never be forgotten throughout this exercise. Commence […]
Originally posted on Cote du Golfe School of Fencing:
OK, there’s a bit of fire to follow, so let me especially emphasize that the opinions expressed below are my own and not necessarily reflective of The Martinez Academy of Arms, Maestro Ramon Martinez, or Maestro Jeannette Acosta-Martinez. I’m sorry for the length, too… What is…
“It doesn’t at all follow that because you hit your adversary you are right: you may be utterly wrong. The small sword is so excessively light and so excessively deadly that to be always rushing in and trying to precipitate yourself on your opponent is madness. In the twinkling of an eye you may have […]
This historically important film shows children demonstrating martial arts techniques on Mott Street in Chinatown, New York City, on or around January 29, 1930. This footage was recently discovered by Rodney Bennett of Anglesea, Australia.
“It is a great mistake to suppose that women cannot learn fencing as quickly as men…the fact is the women are much the quicker pupils. They are more flexible of body; their limbs are more supple and elastic—that’s one advantage. Their mental brightness enables them to pick up the strategy of the art quicker—that’s a […]
Originally posted on Out of This Century:
Announcing the release of the book, Irish Swordsmanship: Fencing and Dueling in Eighteenth Century Ireland, available in October 2017. The product of more than ten years of research, the first part of this book tells the story of eighteenth century Ireland’s most renowned duelists, gladiators, and fencing masters,…
“Come, Mr. Millet, attack me in your turn, and do it well, or I shall catch you.” – Robert Hewes Today, it is not uncommon to witness or overhear martial arts enthusiasts arguing over the merits of various weapons and respective martial arts methods, and their supposed superiority (or inferiority) over others. Such a […]
“This,” said the professor, “is my bayonet and dagger breastplate. You see, I teach both bayonet and dagger or knife fencing, and I should not like to hurt my pupils…” The following article appeared in the February 17, 1883 issue of the Chicago Daily News, and contains an interview with the celebrated duelist, swordsman, […]